So you will find I am not always out in my garden...oh shock! Especially in the lovely winter months here in Seattle. Maybe if I were still in Sydney where the sun is still brave enough to shine on through the winter, but here even the sun is afraid to show its face in my usually frosty yard.
What is one to do when the garden is just not calling? When the indoors are cozy and the closest I get to gardening is looking at it through the window and my thoughts say...brrr, Hell no!
Its time to hibernate and decorate!!! Where I can stay in my snugly jammies with a hot cup of coffee, where the possibilities are limitless...New color on the walls, a DIY project inspired by Pinterest, clearing some clutter, and I guess the cleaning that has to come first...but really phooie to the un-forfilling cleaning, I just want to get creative and decorate!!
The first week of rain and I hit the local salvage center for a quick (well supposed to be quick) DIY project....Its Bedroom make-over time and I need a new headboard. Plus my hubby is out of town on a business trip so its...surprise bedroom make-over time!! And yes, I did pretend I was on one of those HGTV make-over shows, especially when it came time for the big reveal...lol!
Inspiration...Pinterest of cause!! Here is the pic that got the creative juices flowing. Check out the link http://pinterest.com/julia_rule/diy-home/
Time...Should've taken a 4-6hours, but math and measuring are really not my strength, lets just say lots of caulking to fill my mistakes...oops! Ended up taking 2 days from first measure to fully installed!
Cost... An old solid 1920's wood 5 panel door $15, molding 50c/ft = $3 and paint, caulking, nails and scrap-wood I already had. With my credit at Second use I ended up paying nada...woot! So for under $20 a new chic salvaged headboard. So much cheaper than a store bought, plus I can say I made it, faults and all! Although I like to call those bits "see I really did make it" marks.
Supplies...Old panel door (84in) works well for a King size, crown molding, trim, a 2x4x8 (used as legs to prop the door on), nails to attach legs and crown molding and lots of caulk, primer and paint.
Tools...Saw (to cut trim), sandpaper (to smooth the surface of door for painting), hammer, measuring tape (if you are me, someone to check your measurements!), pencil, brushes.
I also ended up painting the wall behind the bed a rich grey and picked up some old bed-side lamps at a thrift store. Here is my end result....