Sunday, May 8, 2011

Everythings coming up Fuchsias

Don't you just love, when you go to clean out last years hanging baskets (yes, the ones I neglected to clear out last fall...oops) only to discover a wonderful surprise! See it was a good thing I let them be...whoo hoo Procrastination pays off!

Last year I had two beautiful hanging baskets planted out with stunning Fuchsia "Dark Eyes" starts. A deep red and purple double bloom that was "meant to be" very full and heavy with cascades of hanging flowers. They did just ok over the summer and then died pretty early in the fall...good bye Fuchsias! I don't think they liked the spot I had them in, west afternoon sun and I'm sure the vacation away in which they didn't get watered didn't help either...oops again!
So I thought, to my surprise, these once dead(?) plants, could they really be returning for another go? But wait, look! What are those little green shoots I see, trying to push through the dead debris? Oh my heart skipped a beat. Look what I found....


A little tidy up and voila! I uncovered 5 healthy little starts. Now I have a Fuchsia basket ready for hanging and second chance of blooms! This year I promise to find a nice shady spot for you with a constant supply of water which you love.

Also, on Fuchsia train of thought....Being Mothers day weekend, I had the fortunate blessing of being able to drag my loving family around a nursery with me. Today we explored "Flower World" up in Woodenville WA. Amazing! Amazing! The place is huge and the grounds are stunning. I had fun with my camera too, but will save most of my pics for another post. However, here are some beautiful Fuchsias I am adding to my "plant's most wanted" file...

Fuchsia 'Dimples', a bushy trailer with an abundance of small double flowers.

 Fuchsia "Pinks Gallore" or "Powder puff" either way another double bloom beauty

 Fuchsia "Heidi Ann" double bloom, although it was really full and juicy, I'd say a triple bloom...beautiful!

Fuchsia 'Voodoo', a bushy, very-heavy-blooming hybrid with large, fully double flowers. These looked hand dipped in purple paint...stunning!

I love my Fuchsias and can't wait to see how my "second chance basket" goes...will keep you posted!

23 comments:

  1. Love all those fuchsia! What an exciting find...isn't it great when procrastination pays off! Happy belated Mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife is not a plant person per say. But I thing all mothers should go on to a nursery on mothers day and roam along with their (plant loving) husbands. Enough said.....lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pleasant surprise! And those flowers are really gorgeous. I hope they give me pleasant surprises too by popping up in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What was wonderful was Flower World also had a little zoo for the kids - sheep, goats, chickens, peacocks, geese - lots of waterways, fish and turtles that I was able to show the kids. A very fun little place and well worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great luck you had! I simply adore Fuchsias too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice!
    i have tried over-wintering mine the passed two years too... ok success so far. Mine have taken longer to really get flowering than the ones that have been soaking up the sun in the greenhouses for months already.

    Nice fuchsia selections also!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice surprise the fuschia came back to life! I have to remember that yes indeed procrastination does pay off! Your hanging baskets look great and a Happy Belated Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a nice surprise! I have one fuchsia that was planted in a container years ago and now it comes back every year. Isn't Flower World fun and huge?! I was just thinking today I need to go there, great prices I think. I went to the plant sale at Seattle Tilth yesterday and wondered if you were one of the people there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Catherine, I was planning on the Tilth sale but at the 11th hour I decided I needed a more family friendly place for the kids, my hubby was the one that found flower world...omg LOVED it! Prices were great, place was huge, I cant wait to go back!!! Hope you had a wonderful time at the Tilth sale? It was a gorgeous day for being out with the plants =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Karin, happy Moms day to you too! If there is one thing I am great at, its procrastination =)
    @ Greggo...hahaha! I love it!!!
    @ One, I'll cross my fingers for you!
    @ Dave, love you! Thanks for a wonderful mothers day...xx
    @ Ficurina, it was 100%luck, luck I didn't throw them out..hehehe!
    @ WMG, hope they continue to go well. I was doubly surprised with mine as the basket was hanging in a tree all winter, hows that for winterising...lol! hope you post about yours I'd love to see them.
    @ Tina, thanks for coming to visit. Happy mothers day to you too!! Maybe I should learn my lesson and procrastinate more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful...what a nice surprise! Happy belated Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fabulous surprise. I was always surprised how tough Fuchsias can be. I kept one going for more than 5 years in a hanging basket that was routinely neglected every winter. I just left it hanging on the tree, every year certain I'd have to replace it come spring...and every year it came back. Although I'm not as far north as you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How absolutely wonderful that your fuchsias have returned...I love them, but they are impossible to grow here except as an annual due to the cold winter temps...I can't wait to see how they flower

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your fuchsia plants are stunning...such gorgeous and deep colors. Your garden will shine with these lovelies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never seen fuchsias before - gorgeous! But procrastination is something I know about; it has me enjoying rain lilies in my unmowed yard right now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think fuchias are so beautiful and romantic. I don't grow them, though, because I figured they would die off in the winter. And you have beaten the odds! Maybe I'll give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lvoe those flowers!! I am growing hiacinth bean vine from seed and I hope to see those similar to yours fuchsia flowers as well ;) grat blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So nice to get a surprise of "free" plants. It never fails to amaze me how resilient plants are.

    ReplyDelete
  19. your photos are gorgeous! I think you should make note cards...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the welcome you sent me Julia!
    And the images of those fuchsias... It sent me to the basement to locate (with difficulty) the hanging box my grandpa made for my mother when I was a child. Nothing is more fun than putting little gardens in little containers :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my latest post! I love sharing my gardening adventures and reading your wonderful comments. Happy digging...Cheers Julia!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...